Visitors - Come on in and say hello!

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Prayer of Surrender

This is a re-post, and a prayer that is much needed for us all.

PRAYER OF SURRENDER

Lord Jesus Christ, I ask the grace to accept the sadness in my heart, as your will for me, in this moment. I offer it up, in union with your sufferings, for those who are in deepest need of your redeeming grace. I surrender myself to your Father's will and I ask you to help me to move on to the next task that you have set for me.

Spirit of Christ, help me to enter into a deeper union with you. Lead me away from dwelling on the hurt I feel:

to thoughts of charity for those who need my love
to thoughts of compassion for those who need my care, and to thoughts of giving to those who need my help.
As I give myself to you, help me to provide for the salvation of those who come to me in need.

May I find my healing in this giving.
May I always accept God's will.
May I find my true self by living for others in a spirit of sacrifice and suffering.
May I die more fully to myself, and live more fully in you.

As I seek to surrender to the Father's will, may I come to trust that he will do everything for me.


With Ecclesiastical Approval

adapted from the spiritual teachings of Rev. Walter J. Ciszek, SJ.

The Father Walter Ciszek Prayer League, Inc.,
231 North Jardin Street
Shenandoah, PA 17976
(570) 462-2270

Official Organization for the Promotion of the Cause of Canonization of REV. WALTER J. CISZEK, S.J.

9 comments:

bearing said...

This comes at a good time for me. I see that the prayer has to do with accepting "sadness" in the heart; I think it could equally be applied to other unpleasant but necessary-in-this-vale-of-tears feelings, such as fear, or even anger (of the right kind).

Adoro said...

bearing ~ I love this prayer...it was also given to me at a time in which it was most needed.

Sometimes I change the word "sadness" to fit the situation because "sadness" isn't always the right emotion.

Anonymous said...

thank you for posting this beautiful prayer. It's a keeper, and very powerful. God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I'm printing this out and sticking it in the back of my liturgy of the hours.

Anonymous said...

I dig this. I offered up a bit of unhealthy wrath to the cross the other day, though not so eloquently, and it was amazing how the anger left me and I was able to be charitable. I was so grateful when it turned out to be a misunderstanding and if I had reacted I would have screwed up a relationship.

Thanks for posting this. Will pocket it for later use.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting. I just finished reading With God in Russia by Walter Ciszek and googled "novena to father walter ciszek". Your blog was one of the first things that came up. I was so profoundly affected by his story and I am grateful for your post. Before I read the book a religious sister told me to make a novena to father ciszek and without knowing much about him i read the book. I will definitely use this prayer as part of my novena. May God Bless You.

Grace

Anonymous said...

Thank you so very much for posting this prayer. I needed to pray this.

I am a relatively new priest (2004), having been a late vocation, but the struggles I have encountered within the very body of the Church itself has made me feel so desperately lonely and at times, fearful. Even from the very people in the parish who should love our Lord, our Blessed Mother, the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, I often encounter cynicism, sarcasm, doubt, rejection of truths, resentfulness, occasionally blasphemy. I've been, in a sense, placed in a sort of 'gulag' of the church known as 'your typical American parish.'

What's kept me sane is the knowledge that Jesus Christ has triumphed, with Our Lady as commander of the heavenly forces, St. Michael as the general leading the charge of the angels and the saints, how can we possibly be fearful??!!

"There is no fear in love, because fear has to do with punishment; but perfect love casts out all fear." 1John4:18

And with such modern examples of priesthood such as John Vianney, Josemaria Escriva, Walter Ciszek and Francis Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan, how can I possibly be any worse off?

Please - pray for your priests!

Christus Vincit - Christus Regnat - Christus Imperat!

Adoro said...

Father, thanks for your comment! I am new to parish ministry myself, and pray for priests all the time! Just today someone came to me, wanting ot return to the Church, and I referred her to Father....you have NO IDEA how awesome it is that you have such authority!

You are absolutely in my prayers. I have no idea if you will come back and read this, but if you do...know you are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this prayer. It aided me greatly this morning as I sought words to express my desire to surrender to His will and to put to death my worldy ways. Thank you.