Visitors - Come on in and say hello!

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

News and Theology

OK, first of all, the news part. There isn't any. I haven't heard anything so that means that I'll either get a letter in the mail stating, "Thanks but No Thanks", they weren't able to finish their first round of interviews yet, or they are sorting through the candidates and have yet to call for the second interview. All in God's time.

Moving on to the Theology part:

From today's Gospel reading:

John 14:27-31a (Last verses)

"I will no longer speak much with you, for the ruler of the world is coming. he has no power over me, but the world must know that I love the Father and that I do just as the Father has commanded me."

This class definitely has me making connections in scripture. I just shot off a note to my professor because today's Gospel seems to demonstrate a very profound link between the Trinity, the divine and human dimensions of Jesus in relation to the Father in expiation for sin (ie perfect obedience), the dignity of humanity in the image and likeness of God, and the similarity in how Jesus responds to the Father's commands as a demonstration and lesson to us all. And I say this because he shows us by example how we must respond to His commands within, that being the conscience, which is the Holy Spirit convincing us of sin in relation to the definitive judgment that already took place (Satan), and pointing us to the all-good, which is God.

Whew! Did you get all that?! I'm not sure I did, and it's not how I phrased it in the question posed to my professor. It's one thing to summarize it lightly here, another entirely to send a question to my professor knowing what he knows, his knowing what he has taught us, and then to be specific enough without laying the foundational theology it would be necessary to explain if I were to write a solid post on this idea.

Perhaps I'll expand on this idea if the prof. can confirm my imperfect understanding. I do NOT want to spend a bunch of time on a post only to find out I've just opened up a can of Gnostic on myself.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you haven't heard a response yet.

Sounds like you had a multi-level realization there with regard to the virtue of obedience and the profound relationship with conscience.

All the Best, -B

Fr. V said...

I can't take this waiting much longer. This is like waiting to see who shot J.R. Ewing over an entire summer.

Man.

Adoro said...

Thanks, WP.

More like I'm internalizing the theological information I've learned in my first grad class, as now I'm seeing it in scripture. I always understood obedience to have a relationship with conscience...thanks to Mom.

But the theological meaning is much different and goes back to human dignity, which is the paper I'm writing to finish the class. (We all have to write on the same subject: basically the relationship between human dignity, moral conscience, and redemption, a summary of the class material.)

If I hear back from the prof and am so inclined, I may post on this specifically, but it would take time as it is definitely a theoloical post, not an opinion piece! LOL!

God bless!

Adoro said...

Fr. V. ~ YOU can't take it!? I'm DYING!

or..

are you talking about the job or the answer from the professor?

:-)

Unknown said...

I remember the feeling when I began to make connections in scripture from my course work. Cool was the first thought, then Oh Man, now God is really going to expect more of me, because to whom much is given, much is expected.

beware.

LOL