Monday, May 05, 2008
PETA must be a centipede
Because...How in the world can PETA continue walking around when all they can do is chew off their own feet by such public asininity? They must have a lot of feet!
I just heard their latest hysteria on the news: They want to condemn the jockey who rode Eight Belles on Saturday, claiming that she "must have" been injured and the jockey "should have" pulled her out of the race.
OK, first thing's first:
1. They have not determined what caused the breaks to happen AFTER the race had ended, and it's possible no ruling will ever be made on that.
2. Jockeys are inherently sensitive to their mounts, and even if they were driving for the wire, lengths in front, a jockey will pull a mount up rather than drive him or her forward in the interest of saving said jockey's own future, if not for the horse itself. That horse is bread to a jockey and they tend to err on the side of caution. Get a grip.
3. Jockeys are convenient targets, aren't they? They don't swim in oil money and they don't tend to be Muslim Sheiks (who happen to own the vast majority of racing everywhere, throughout the world, thanks to said oil money.)
4. Jockeys are the little guys of racing...PETA would spend their time better pleading for the plight of jockeys than the ignorant missives they dedicate themselves to on national news.
5. There's a really good chance that the break happened because of a genetic condition that could not be assessed or determined because its a new gene mutation. Good luck proving the jockey screwed up....your better case would be to get the genetic records and launch a case study and commandeer an equine research facility to determine the cause of this catastrophe. Oh...right...that's why you're going after the jockey. Easier and more dramatic.
I didn't think it was possible, but now I have even LESS respect for PETA. I put them right down there with the ACLU...got no respect for them, either.