Visitors - Come on in and say hello!

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Rosary Meme


Swissmiss tagged me for the Rosary Meme, wherein one is apparently supposed to show three pictures of one's favorite rosaries.
Mine aren't anything special, really. I see a lot of people with really fancy-schmantzy rosaries, and I've seem some truly beautiful works of art people pray over $50.00 to pray upon, and sure, I'd like to have one of those, too.
But of course, I'd be so afraid of destroying it that I'd never use it!

Rosaries are meant to be PRAYED, and so mine reflect that very utility and purpose.

The one I use most often is a red one with a John Paul II crucifix (Isn't that actually a Pope Paul IV crucifix?), with a JPII medal, and the other side has an image of the Immaculate Conception. I've been meaning to affix a St. Benedict medal to it.

This rosary is special for a couple reasons: first, because one day I was praying to John Paul the Great, and asked for a sign of his intercession. The very next day, this rosary fell into my hands, along with a JPII crucifix I now wear on a chain, and a JPII crucifix pin (which I gave away). Secondly, this rosary was blessed by a friend of mine in July, and as he is a friend, it reminds me to pray for him and all priests whenever I pick it up.


The second rosary is the rosary given to me on the occasion of my First Communion. I still remember clutching it whenever I went to Mass (even though I never prayed it), but it always gave me comfort and made me feel "holy".

I didn't scan my other rosary, which is on my dresser. It's much like the red one with a fancier crucifix than either of the two here. I got it from some mission solicitation in the mail, but liked it so much that for awhile, it was the one I carried around. Oh, and it's blue.

I also have one from the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe, with small black iridescent beads, a wire-thin crucifix, and the medal in the center is, of course, Our Lady of Guadalupe.

I'm not sure who to tag, so, if you're a regular commenter or reader with a blog to support photos....be tagged if you so desire! (Just let me know!)

8 comments:

*~JennD.'J.M.J.'~* said...

Adoro ~ I would so like to be tagged, lol. I've only commented a few times, but I do read your Blog often.
I am able to support photos, so I can picture my own favorites, one is my First Holy Communion Rosary, the other is a 20-decade Rosary I made for myself a couple of years ago, and which was blessed by a bishop during our annual Blue Army visit.
As soon as I can, I will post these pix to my Blog, so stay tuned, eh? :)
~ Jenn.

Adoro said...

Jenn ~ I always enjoy your comments. Let me know when you've posted so I can link to you!

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

Whenever I get around to taking a pic of my rosary I will let you know.

Anonymous said...

My favorite rosary is the first one I made for myself. It is made of Job's Tears beads, a Padre Pio center with a 4th class relic and a Pope John Paul II papal cross crucifix. It was missing an image of the Blessed Mother, so I bought a small medal and attached it to the center.

I have been using this for rosary night every week at 7:00pm on Sunday for the past three years. Over those years it's come apart multiple times (due to crafting flaws of my earliest efforts). I have been fixing the loops properly and the rosary is being perfected as I hope I am. :)

Lillian Marie said...

My favorite Rosary - the one my Maternal Grandmother used. I was given it after she died - and it's the one I use regularly. It's Mother-of-Pearl Beads w/ what used to be silver links (they have since changed golden color) and a beautiful Silver Cross (the crown of thorns changed to a golden color as well).

3 others I use: one in my car (hung on the rearview mirror), one on the post of my bed, and the rosary ring I keep in my purse.

*~JennD.'J.M.J.'~* said...

Adoro ~ I just wanted to let you know that I finally got my post up...it took me all day, off & on, since I didn't have all the pictures ready yet (from my web album) and everything that had to get done during the day...I must have saved it a dozen times before I finally posted it, lol. But there it is!

owenswain said...

Mine is here Maybe this meme thing is finally catching. ;-)

swissmiss said...

Nice rosaries, Adoro. Sorry it's taken me so long to come by and see them, but the entire family has been fighting off colds and now I have one...that's why I'm up in the middle of the night, stuffy and achy...waaaa. Have a blessed Christmas and a happy, healthy and not-too-stressful (school!) New Year!