Visitors - Come on in and say hello!

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Curse for Us, Blessing for Another

I was grumbling about the 10 below 0 temperature this morning, grateful not to be living further north. The black ice on the highways is causing accidents all over the place. My dog and I are taking very short walks...for her because her paws can't take it. And me, well, the ice makes it difficult to navigate while remaining upright.

But there's another way to look at this cold and the snow that is coming again today.

Many of us are really unhappy about this weather, but what about those who benefit from it?

As a skier, I rejoice that the ski areas can make some really great snow in this kind of weather, and in spite of the temps, they'll be pulling in unbelievable business.

All the winter-oriented industries really NEED this boon, especially in this awful economy. I'm guessing that this bitter cold is going to keep a lot of people employed that, if we were having a "comfortable" winter, might well end up in a box outside of Sharing and Caring Hands.

So today, as I drive to work praying to make it safely, and as I drive home on snowy roads, I'm going to try to remember those who are benefitting. Most of us up here, especially who have to drive in the Cities, really HATE this stuff. We're suffering. Maybe this is really creating a wonderful opportunity to "offer it up" for the sake of those who see it for the blessing it is.

Maybe we all need to be more willing to "suffer" for the benefit of others.

God's will is being done; we really have no right to complain about anything.
*

Adoro's Meditation of the Day has been brought to you by bitterly-cold temperatures.
*

4 comments:

Ellyn said...

Your thoughts brought me a (cold) blast from the past. When I was first married, my husband worked for the street department and drove a plow/salt truck during inclement weather. I was always overjoyed when a storm because I knew the much needed over-time pay was on the horizon. There were a few lovely all-family-invited birthday parties for the little ones underwritten by snowy weather!

Cathy_of_Alex said...

Your sponsor was better than mine from the post I took down! LOL!

Michelle said...

Maybe you should put some mittens in pooch's stockings for Christmas!

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

At least you guys complain when its really cold, we Californians start complaining when the scale gets below 60, lol.