Visitors - Come on in and say hello!

Friday, January 02, 2009

Correction in the Liturgy of the Hours

Called by Name: Correction in the Liturgy of the Hours

I know that at least some of my readers also pray the Liturgy of the Hours, and maybe some of you have been as confused as I with regard to some of it. For myself, I'm in my first year of praying it as the volumes were given to me last year during the Easter Season. But apparently there is a misprint beginning with today, and thankfully Fr. Schnippel caught it and took the time to explain it for us. Below is the totality of his instructions:

"For those who use the four volume Liturgy of the Hours, there is a correction that needs to be made.

If you look on page 502, the header for today says 'From January 2 to Epiphany/MONDAY'. If you flip to the end of the Office of Readings on the next page, you'll see the following rubric: "If the day falls on a Sunday, the Te Deum is said."

Hmmm.... When has a Monday ever fallen on a Sunday?

The correction is to scratch out the MONDAY and replace with 'January 2' and follow on the successive days: Tuesday -> January 3; Wednesday -> January 4; etc. It was a mistake in laying out the volume for use in multiple different locales with multiple uses; ie: is Epiphany celebrated on January 6 or on the Sunday following January 1? That's the difficulty and it doesn't always match up right, but for today and tomorrow, we here in the US use the pages marked 'MONDAY' and 'TUESDAY,' with the psalms and canticles from Week I of the psalter, as follows for the week after the Feast of the Holy Family."


Now...if anyone has any other questions, follow the link and ask the good Father, because the only answer you'll get out of me is: "I have NO idea!"

Happy praying!

No comments: