Visitors - Come on in and say hello!

Thursday, August 16, 2007

It's Fun to be Catholic!

Some time ago, Catholic author Bill Kassel (Holy Innocents, This Side of Jordan) contacted me after having come across one of my blog posts in which I'd alluded to his books. I've been meaning to provide a formal review of his books for some time, and you know what? I STILL haven't done it. For a short review: read these books, they were great! (More later...)

Mr. Kassel has sent me a review copy of a radio show to debut on Ave Maria Radio in the upcoming weeks. Since it's crunch time, I was excited to get my copy today.

The "Prairie Home Companion"-esq Olde Tyme Radio variety show format of "It's Fun to be Catholic" includes original music sung by Bill Kassel himself. (And they give a humorous hat-tip to that popular NPR series and Garrison Keiller.) "It's Fun to be Catholic" was produced by Catholic composer and record producer Dan Adam, and features Tom Loewe, Sr. Sarah Burdick (co-hosts of "Notes from Above"), Kara Fay Coulter, Ken Castel, and Eden Simmons. It is highly endorsed by Ave Maria Radio CEO Al Kresta ("Kresta in the Afternoon").

I really enjoyed the show, which included some conversational dialogue discussing common Catholic topics such as "worshiping Mary", being "more Catholic than the Pope" (it's not what you think!), Vocations recruitment, modern technology and pop culture. The basic premise of the whole thing is that it is OK to be Catholic and have a sense of humor.

Most of us would wholeheartedly agree, but for some reason, all too often, we get caught up in the negativity of issues both in and outside our beloved Church, and forget that we have to keep perspective, and we have to maintain that joy that God has given us. Too often, we focus on the negative, and Catholic Radio tends more towards discussion and serious facts without the balance needed to give evidence of our deep happiness found within our faith. This show is an effort to reinforce the joy and instigate laughter on the radio waves.

Based on the information I was sent, the show can be heard on Saturday, September 1 at 2:00 pm and 8:00 pm; Sunday, September 2, at 2:00 pm and 6:00 pm; and Monday, September 3 (Labor Day), at 2:00 pm.

Ave Maria Radio can be heard in the metro Detroit area at 990 - AM, or in SW Florida, 98.5 FM.

Online, it should be available to listeners at www.mycatholicradio.com

2 comments:

paramedicgirl said...

Adoro, I know lots of Catholics with a good sense of humour. I find that Catholics are generally pretty good at laughing at themselves.

Adoro said...

I agree ~ But I also have observed a LOT of Catholics getting caught up in issues and losing their joy. We need our humor to be reinforced sometimes.