Visitors - Come on in and say hello!

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Sunday Morning Musing

This morning I literally woke up laughing. Really. I was having an odd dream about working at a youth event, where I was a speaker. And I was complaining that the kids spent more time on "break" than in actually doing anything to learn about God. For example, each speaker had 5 minutes...and then thre was a 10 minute break. Speed catechesis.

Well, Uncle Jim was in the dream and said something hilariously funny. I have no idea what it was, but suddenly I was awake, laughing. In that moment I still remembered the joke, and oddly enough, in the real world, it wasn't a bit funny. (No offense, Uncle Jim). But in that dream, it made me laugh, a laughter that carried me into the early morning darkness. And when I realized I was laughing at a joke that didn't happen, given by a person who wasn't there and whom I've never met, and that I was really laughing...well, that just made me giggle. LOL!

So it was a good start to my day and has placed me into a fabulous mood.

Mass was beautiful, the homily was excellent, and there is joy everywhere.

And then I went to the store. That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, either. I beat the rush, although tomorrow I will have to venture out. I considered making a quick run to a certain store today, however, the weather has made me reconsider.

It is quite literally a skating rink all throughout the city. They have sanded and salted, but it's not doing a thing.

Yesterday night and morning it was very warm up here, and so the couple inches of snow that fell was of the very heavy, wet variety. Shortly after sunrise, the wind picked up and the temperature began to steadily drop. The plows came through quickly, however it was too late...all that snow got compressed into very smooth ice. The driveway of my townhome complex very literally looks like a snow-swept skating rink. I am seriously tempted to take my old almost antique skates off the hook where they hang and take a few turns and leaps around in the driveway.

The roads even locally are just atrocious. Today it's very windy and it's bitterly, bitterly cold. It wasn't this bad when I was walking the dog this morning, but again, the temps are dropping and the wind is blowing some fresh snow around. They're predicting a couple inches today yet, but we won't really see the accumulation as the winds are going to blow it all into Wisconsin. There's already a drift against my garage door. Insulation!

So anyway, as I was leaving the store I had to stop to wait for traffic. There's no snow on the road (maybe a little), but it's all ice. And although my car has traction control, it had no effect. I was just spinning my wheels, envisioning trying to get out and push....and how could that work? You cannot walk or drive on this stuff.

Those skates are starting to look more and more useful.

So in the end I realized it's best to just go home because I don't have time to shatter my car today.

Darn. I forgot to pick up hot chocolate.

8 comments:

Kiwi Nomad said...

Merry Christmas adoro.... from our summer to your winter.... where maybe your Christmas will be white!

Adoro said...

Oh, it'll be white all right. And right now it's a complete whiteout!

Merry Christmas to you, Kiwi!

Cathy_of_Alex said...

Adoro: Praise God! I'm always overjoyed to "hear" you laughing.

:-)

Adrienne said...

I just emailed my St. Paul friends this morning and told them to take a "snow day". You too, young lady!!

Adoro said...

Cathy ~ You could hear me all the way over in St. Paul? (Do you hear what I hear
Do you hear what I hear...? Adoro, Adoro, laughing in her sleep, she usually doesn't make a peep, she usually doesn't make a peep....)

:-)

Adrienne ~ I'm not going ANYWHERE! I'm so grateful the store was close to my house, only a couple blocks, the church is close to my house....just a couple blocks. And I just took a guilt-free nap. And I came down, looked out my window, and there is snow completely filling in the walkway, thanks to the wind and blowing snow.

Seriously...this is looking like near-blizzard conditions out there.

I'm goign to go turn my heat up. And have soem coffee.

Hidden One said...

I think I almost envy you a lot. I'm gearing up for Slushmas over here. :(

Cathy_of_Alex said...

Adoro: LOL!

uncle jim said...

I'm glad I cold make you laugh - even if in a dream that couldn't do the same in reality.

It is already Monday eve as I write this comment - Christmas eve. Our adult children were all here on Sunday, along with spouses and 3 grandchildren. We had our family Christmas dinner and gift exchange. Since it had been 7 years since the last time we were all together at Christmas [and there were no grandchildren then], we had a photographer come in and take some pix.

All in all a wonderful day.

Two of the families stayed the night, and the last left around 4:15pm this afternoon. Result has been a very full past day and a half.

tomorrow afternoon, we'll be traveling a very short distance of 80 miles to our youngest son's home for a Christmas day meal.

We, Aunt Rozann and me, wish you and your family the very best this Christmas, and may the Christ child brighten your day.

Wednesday it is back to work at 6am.