Visitors - Come on in and say hello!

Monday, December 03, 2007

Monday Update

My brother called - they found the cause of the blockage. It's an adhesion from old scar tissue. So this evening at 5:15 she'll be going into surgery. It'll be a small incision, they'll go in and clean it up, and worst case scenario, remove part of the intestine. They do not believe it's cancerous as the CT scan did not show any kind of a mass.

So please keep praying this evening as my Mom is in surgery. It's a simple one, about 20 minutes, they told my brother, and then she'll be in recovery. This will require another 4-8 days in the hospital, but it looks like things are looking brighter already.

Thank you for your prayers!

UPDATE 8:15 PM: My brother called. He is at the hospital with my aunt and some cousins. Mom is still in surgery. She didn't go in until 7 or so, but still, this is taking longer than they stated, which tends to indicate they didn't find what they expected.

UPDATE 8:55 PM: Mom is out of surgery. It actually wasn't as bad as they thought, and all they had to do was untwist the intestine. I'm not clear on exactly what happened, but it's all related to a bad surgical job from when her appendix came out in the '50's. My brother doesn't do a very good job of explaining things and what he did say made no sense. So I'm only reporting the small bit that does make sense - the untwisting, and the lack of any surgical cutting to the intestine itself. It was unnecessary, and thus she has a much lower risk of post-surgical infection, quicker healing, etc. She'll be out of the hospital in 4-5 days. And two of our Aunts, a cousin, my brother, and his girlfriend were there, and they were calling the rest of the family in the meantime.

Now prayers moving forward to recovery!

Merry Christmas to us!

8 comments:

Adrienne said...

Yea!! Good news:)

Melody K said...

I'm so glad they found out the cause, and can do something to make it better. Praying for your Mom to be safe, and for God to guide the surgeon's hands.

Cathy_of_Alex said...

Adoro: This sounds like great news! I'm still praying.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news! Prayers continue!

Cathy_of_Alex said...

STILL good news and I'm still praying! :-)

Unknown said...

Now you see why my mom used to always say not to borrow troubles. You could have been all worried that it was something really bad, and then when you found out that it wasn't you would have wasted all of that great worry for nothing.

My mom was pretty wise.

Glad that it was good news. Glad your mom is on the mend. Hope you will be resting more comfortably now that you know.

Peace to you and yours.

Cathy said...

Great, great, great!

Will keep praying...

Fr. V said...

Yea!