Visitors - Come on in and say hello!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

RCIA

For those who do not know, RCIA stands for "Rite of Christian Initiation", and it is a journey of faith which, for many, leads to full communion with the Catholic faith. People may go through RCIA for many reasons...to be Confirmed, to be reeducated in the faith (after having fallen away), or even to convert from another religion to Catholicism.

Tonight was my first night teaching. I actually didn't really have to do anything as it was only an overview for the new class, an explanation, and a very short lecture. We broke into small groups, and I found myself as a small group leader...all by myself. As I joined the little group, I introduced myself, "My name is AdoroTeDevote..and I'm a Catholic."

They were very receptive to this, and it gave me courage, so the small group session went well. What an amazing group of people!

In the very beginning of the evening, all we teachers introduced ourselves to the whole group and so I had revealed that it is my first time teaching. So when I entered the small group at the end, they acknowledged my rookiness. As they had apparently run out of things to say, and awkward silences are a sign of a bad facilitator, I decided to correct the problem...and offered them an opportunity to ask a random question in order to "stump the rookie". To encourage them, I let them know it should be pretty easy.

One person did have a question, I gave a very general answer, of which my real answer was "I don't know" but I was able to provide some good information in the process. Inadvertantly, I apparently answered this person's question to his satisfaction.

Whew! Got through that one!

In all seriousness, I do hope that I will be a good teacher. The people who are going through RCIA want to be there, they want to learn, and they have real questions. I am not a theologian, but they don't really want one..they just want a teacher who can explain the faith and assist them on their way to union with Christ.

I will actually teach my first class in two weeks, on the scripture readings. If anyone can point me to a good Biblical commentary for those readings (28th Sunday in Ordinary Time), send me a link!

Please also pray for all of us teachers, both the newbies and the veterans, and especially keep all those in RCIA throughout the world in your prayers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adoro - this site is good:
http://www.sacredspace.ie/

I also started teaching RCIA. I was a helper last year and just watched most of the time. It was a fairly large group with people at many different stages in their journey and very different learning styles. To say it was challenging at times is a gross understatment!

This year we only have 2 ladies in the group. They are intelligent and articulate and after one session we are going straight from inquiry to the real thing. They can't wait to be received and be full members. I think this year is going to be a lot easier!

Please keep us posted on your class and we can trade tips, reading materials, etc.! I have some excellent NFP stuff.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you'll have an exciting year with RCIA! God bless you.

Unknown said...

Good luck, Adoro.

I have been in a Spiritual Journey Group in my parish for maybe 6 years. We meet twice a month. I have taken it upon my self to prepare a reminder agenda for the small group.

I send them the readings for the following Sunday and a nice image reflecting those readings.

I also send a commentary. Here is a site that has homilies for the Sundays of the years. Sometimes you get a choice of two or three. You might find them useful if you are stuck sometimes.


http://www.homiliesalive.com/#homilies