Visitors - Come on in and say hello!

Saturday, December 17, 2005

The Sound of Music

I grew up on this movie...every year, when it was on, we gathered around the TV and we sang along with Maria and the Von Trapp family. I remember playing the soundtrack record (yes, record), and dancing in our large livingroom. I must have driven my mother crazy.

I know my brother thought I was crazy. But when Maria sang to her beau, I was her, and I was leaping from bench to bench, blaring out, "I am 16 going on 17...", having NO IDEA what that song was about...but I didn't care.

Incidentally, I also listed to Peter, Paul, and Mary, and danced to their record over and over again as well.

My Mom was REALLY not entertained by that, but she left me alone.

Contrary to popular opinion at the time, I did not become a ballet dancer...my family couldn't afford to pay for the lessons and in reality, I honestly dont' think my genes are appropriate for that particular venue.

Thank God I'm not a dancer...although, now, as an adult, watching "The Sound of Music" for the first time in many many years....I DO find myself thinking that it would be just smashing to take lessons in ballroom dancing.

If I become a nun, this skill is likely to become useless to me...and if I get married...well, likewise. But a girl can dream, can't she?

Excuse me...I have some dancing to do...

"So long! Farewell! I'll even say Adieu...!"

4 comments:

Kei said...

This has to be one of your shortest blogs ever...

Reminds me of my slothfulness in tasks... not going to be useful for Holy Orders or Holy Matrimony at all ;)

And YEY for the Sound of Music. Let's sing and use our voices that were made by Yahweh God Himself. Alleluia!

Adoro said...

Blessed be the name of the Lord!

Actually, just a couple back I discussed sparkling grape juice...that was a pretty short entry.

Thank God I sing better than I dance...that's all I have to say about that.

God Bless!

Rachel said...

The line is "So long! Farewell! Auf Wiedersehen! Adieu!"

I love the Sound of Music! The autobiography of the real Maria von Trapp is very well worth reading too. In the movie she saves the family by bringing them music. In real life she saved them by bringing them the traditions of the Catholic Faith. And you'd think Baroness Shraeder was an over-the-top Hollywood invention for the movie, but there really was such a character in real life, and the story of how Georg von Trapp dumped her for Maria is even *more* dramatic than in the movie. Anyway, I'll stop rambling...

Adoro said...

ROFL! At the time I wrote this post I had forgotten the German so I just went with what sounded good, although I knew it was wrong.

And I'm letting it stand just because wrong lyrics are funny. Thanks! :-)