Visitors - Come on in and say hello!

Friday, December 19, 2008

Deleting My Conversion Story

I love reading conversion stories, and have read many of them. I think many of my readers are converts or reverts or...'verts like me that don't really fit into any category. We just know that we were introduced to God, left Him somehow, and then realized we were idiots and came back.

Back in 2006, I wrote My Conversion/Reversion story, and labeled it as such. As it stands, the "chapters" of that story are mostly a written "thinking out loud" kind of thing, and so I think I'll probably delete them. They are filled with typoes, the format is unweildy, and in all honesty, the chapters are very badly written. Rather than go through and edit a bad product, it might make more sense to just start over and get rid of all the useless details.

My conversion wasn't dramatic; it was average, really no different than that of many faithful Catholics today. Yet, because I know I love conversion stories, and because I began reading them because other people love those stories as well, I realize the importance of sharing that part of myself.

However, the current form needs to go, and quickly. So, if you have any interest in reading the long, detailed, drawn-out, boring version of my conversion, click here. Scroll to the bottom of the page, and begin reading there in oppposite-world. (And it makes sense...a conversion starts at a low point and thus can ONLY rise...)

There are a couple posts after my story under the same label, but which won't tell you anything new; they are akin to John Paul II's Theology of the Body, which is really an in-depth treatment of what he'd already written in Love and Responsibility. As such, they aren't officially part of my story, but offer "depth" if needed. Otherwise, ignore them. The Chapters are labeled from Prologue through the Epilogue.

If you think the conversion story as written should be left, please either comment here or send an email; otherwise they are going away, and probably quickly. In any case, whether that version remains or not, I hope to write a better testimonial of my conversion to appeal to the soundbite-mentality of today's world. And of course, for people who want to know the story but don't have time to read a novel.
*

13 comments:

X said...

Please leave it up until you post the new version. You just never know what little seed you may have planted with your story. Also, when you write I always feel like I am there with you which makes the story even more compelling.

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

I agree with Angela,

Anonymous said...

I also think you should keep up your conversion story. I found it very compelling. Certainly, I can understand wanting to streamline the story, but please keep up the old version until you finish your rewrite!

Unknown said...

Adoro:

Reversions are slow and never really end until the deathbed.

You have been a long time on your reversion journey and like all of us, still have a long way to go.

You may see weaknesses in your tale now, but that is with the benefit of hindsight. When you post your new version, make a link to the old one and leave it there.

It's highly probable that someone who is quite early on in their reversion journey might see much value in your first tale.

Adoro said...

Thanks, everyone. The problem is, that if I don't delete it, then I WON'T re-write. Yes, I realize that sounds strange, but then again, I never clamed to be normal.

Ray ~ Yes, we are always supposed to be growing in holiness; our entire lives are a state of conversion. But in this context, as the conversion story is of my FIRST conversion, well, that's what needs to be rewritten.

Perhaps once i get the new one written I'll re-post the old, however, it NEEDS to come down before I can even begin the new one.

That's a fact and it's not negotiable.

Bringing it BACK, however, IS a possibility.

The Crescat said...

http://thecrescat.blogspot.com/2008/12/that-one-special-ornament.html

Tag!

Adrienne said...

I think you do what ever rings your bell.... ;-)

Adoro said...

Oh, my goodness, I need a bell!

owenswain said...

I haven't read the comments and all I will say is this:

I have removed and deleted too many things. They were what they were and should have been left was they were. My conversion story wasn't told in a single post or even a series of posts but over many posts during the course of a year.

People cared enough to read them at the time and invested their time and care in me all along the way. I have those posts complete with the comments generated. Some of those folks no longer blog. Many do. I had no business removing them. It was not only my story but our story.

Regarding luminousmiseries and my art site both I have changed, canceled and relocated too many times for less than absolutely necessary reasons. I see blogs with three and five years worth of archives. I have that many, more, but you won't find them on any one blog. I have broken my promise to one friend and blogger to just stay put too often. I regret that and deserve worse than I've gotten.

At some point I am going to make the effort to put many of those posts back online.

That's all I will say except I appreciate the talking to you so recently gave me by email.

Art | Faith | Souls

newwine said...

I'm new to your blog and just read the old version -- would like for you to leave it up but I do understand what you're saying about never revising it if you leave up the old one. The Tarot story is amazing. I was raised Baptist and left my faith for a period of 7 years or so during which time I dabbled in the occult to a lesser degree...but it had its effect, which I realized later in coming back to the Lord through a charismatic Episcopal church. I received deliverance ministry which was effective, and was strengthened to say no to all forms of the occult at that time. Ironically, a number of years later, I was in an opera scene at a workshop in Minneapolis and required to use Tarot cards for the scene. I can still remember the night the scene was over, realizing in the middle of the night that I had to get rid of them, and getting up and throwing them down the garbage chute, and feeling such a lightness of spirit. God brought me by a circuitous path also -- I became Catholic in the year 2000. Praise God for His deliverance of all those in need who honestly cry out to Him!

Melody K said...

You need to do what you need to do, but I hope you don't "lose" your original conversion postings. They are honest and tell your story well. And like Ray says, there may be people who need to see them. Not everything has to be a soundbyte, sometimes the angels are in the details!

Warren said...

I edited mine for length, and I think you should do the same. But don't delete and rewrite, okay? You'll be less honest the second time, when it's less raw. Who cares about typos.

Warren

Adoro said...

Owen ~ LOL...the "talking-to"? Well, feel free to give me a "talking-to" any time you think I need it! It's always a pleasure to "speak" with you.

Newwine ~ First...welcome Home! You must have an amazing story of conversion. I used to desire a career in theatre, but am grateful that God got me out of it...too often, occult stuff is involved, and I have to be honest; I would refuse to touch the Tarot cards. I'm glad you got rid of them. God is merciful to all those who cry out to Him, and even if we're not completely sincere, if we desire to be so, He brings us to that point. God bless you!

Melody ~ I believe I'll bring them back, especially considering whta you all are saying. They DO need to be edited, and tightened up, but I'll do my best to preserve the real story in both the old and the new versions.

Warren ~ There are some who will never read my story, because it's too long. I love to read, and so do all of you who regularly comment...if you didn't, you'd never read my posts. I have a friend I KNOW doesn't read many of my posts because he doesn't have time, and has actively complained they are too long. I have no idea if he's ever read that story at all.

Re-writing my story has to do not only with the soundbite culture, but also respect for those who really don't have the time. It's not like it's published in an anthology that one can read at will.

Hmmm...maybe I need another post on this.