Visitors - Come on in and say hello!

Thursday, August 03, 2006

I got tagged....

In dropping by Jennifer F.'s blog today, Et tu, Jen?, I was amazed to see that she'd tagged me for a meme, so I thought I'd answer her curiosity.


1. One book that changed your life: Why Do Catholics Do That? A Guide to the Teachings and Practices of the Catholic Church , by Kevin Orlin Johnson, PH. D., and the Left Behind series. Really.

When I was under attack by a Catholic-raised-turned-Baptist who lent me the "Left Behind" series, it was the double-whammy that got my attention. First I could not answer her claims that Confession was not scriptural other attacks against the faith I no longer practiced, and then I found myself deeply, deeply offended by the anti-Catholicism in the books. I kept reading, though, and realized that it was time to come home...I needed to "get right" with God, and it was time to get my questions answered. So I got a bee in my bonnet and went down to a local bookstore where I perused the Religion and Spirituality section. I'm thinking the Holy Spirit lead me to the book, "Why Do Catholics Do that" because it was EXACTLY what I needed. I didn't understand why we genuflected, why we believed in the True Presence, or anything else we do. It gave a brief history and talked about how the Bible was compiled, and answered all my little questions. This lead me to EWTN and "Web of Faith", and "Journey Home" and of course one thing lead to the other and I've been Home now for a few years.

Glory to God in the Highest!

2. One book that you've read more than once:

Aztec by Gary Jennings. I spent a semester in Mexico and I regret that I did not read the book before I went. It's about a man's journey through adulthood as a Mexica, and of course takes great liberties with his life in order to tell the story of the pre-colonial life of the Mexicas, commonly referred to as "Aztecs". Great story, but not recommended for children. Much adult content, much violence, but much of the cultural information is actually correct, which was nice.

just for a juxtaposition so y'all don't think I'm psycho, I'll never get tired of reading Anna Sewell's Black Beauty or Dorothy Lyons' Dark Sunshine

3. One book you'd want on a desert island:

The Anarchist's Cookbook It describes how to convert common household things into bombs...so maybe one can take the same logic, untwist it, and figure out how to turn palm trees into a catapult or spin sand into a fiberglass yacht.

OK, seriously? The Bible is obvious but a good Survival Guide might be handy...and one would not feel guilty about burning the pages with useless info as kindling.


4. One book that made you laugh:

1,911 Best Things Anybody Ever Said


5. One book that made you cry:

What book HASN'T made me cry? I'm a crybaby.

Most of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books made me cry copious tears with great racking sobs. Relevant Radios's "Glenn's Story Corner" pretty much turns me to mush, just a side note.


6. One book that you wish had been written:

The one(s) I'm working on in rough draft form that haven't been submitted for publication yet. But I have the pages numbered and some GREAT passages!


7. One book that you wish had never been written:

Why am I limited to only ONE? OK, Lorraine Boettner's "Roman Catholicism" (was that the name of it?). That thing isn't even worth typing the code to italicize the title.

8. One book you're currently reading:

Michael D. O'Brien's "Children of the Last Days" series: Plague Journal
He also wrote "Father Elijah" and "Sophia House" among others.

Of course, I'm also in the process of reading several other books as well...

9. One book you've been meaning to read:

Where We Got the Bible, Our debt to the Catholic Church by Henry G. Graham. I bought it an an apologetics conference a couple years ago and the binding isn't even broken, although I started to read it.



10. Book that you bought but haven't read:


GK Chesterton's Father Brown of the Church of Rome



OK, now who do I tag? Most of the people I read frequently and who read my blog have already posted, so I guess I'll hit up my two closes cohort-groups:

Ray and the Hadleys at Our Word

1 comment:

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

Very interesting! Where We Got the Bible is on my list too.

This was also the first time I was ever tagged for a meme as well. :)