Visitors - Come on in and say hello!

Friday, May 23, 2008

What Does GOD Want?

I had a realization some time last evening about my summer "time off." Everything happens for a reason. He brought me to my current position for a reason, and He is giving me a summer out of work for a reason.

As you know, I'm extremely worried about being able to pay my bills this summer. And while I do want to visit the Sisters (either an overnight or a weekend, maybe in July once I'm done with work), it's hard to find accomodations for my dog...because that costs money. And going out to the Sisters' motherhouse..out of the question right now.

I've been lamenting the irony that I have the time...but not the money. There is a chance that I can get some work at a business owned by friends this summer as they have an employee taking a few weeks off. And so if they call me, I'll certainly go! And I'll have 10 hours each week through my own work. But that's not a lot of income.

But there's one question I haven't been asking in all my musing...what does GOD want me to do with this time? What is HIS plan for my summer? I know part of it (going to Cleveland...woohoo!), but I can't spend an entire summer away.

BUT...!

There are a few religious communities around here, habited sisters, and some of them have active apostolates that, I think, also utilize volunteers. I realized that even if I'm not interested in their particular communities, exposure to their work and their lifestyle and of course proximinity to those sisters could be very helpful in my own discernment. I'm not sure if this is what God has in mind, but it hit me that if He wants me to volunteer for this purpose, He'll also provide the funds to cover my summer expenses, one way or another.

God doesn't call us to things and then drop us like hot potatoes! (We actually tend to panic and jump ourselves, right out of His hands....)

So, I think I'll be spending some time talking to God as I consider this possibility...or others if they come to me in prayer.

I've so been looking at the world from a human perspective, a perspective of materialism and even attachment. But I think it's important to take this step back and really ask...does God want me to work for money....or for His Kingdom?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We always want to do God's will, but sometimes it's so hard to discern what His will is??? I have also been struggling with some life changing decisions--never felt like God gave me an answer--so "I" made the best choice I could think of--now I hope I made the right choice. Sometimes I wish God would just have a normal conversation with us, "Hey, Tara, this is God, do this..." Oh well, I just keep praying.

Your question about what does God want for you--Father Erik tells us to think about this whenever we make choices. Good question to ask ourselves--often.

The Ironic Catholic said...

Adoro--I really think one of your coworkers in the Vineyard can watch the doggie for one night for a vocational discernment overnight...don't you? Have you asked?

Anonymous said...

IC ~ Cathy is staying with her when I take a trip in July, but she's often gone on weekends (and I don't want to abuse her generosity). Otherwise, my area is full of dog lovers unwilling or unable to help. That was what literally prevented me from going on a retreat a few years ago. I begged, pleaded, etc., and quite literally NO ONE was even WILLING to help me FIND someone!

Sometimes that's a manifestation of God's will. I think it's one of those things that, if the time comes, someone will come along. Or it'll somehow work out.

I've written of this problem several times.

Unknown said...

A woman I worked with in the parish taught me a great lesson in abiding. In every instance she would ask herself "What is God trying to teach/tell me at this moment?" It helped her to realize that all things work for good for those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28) and His ways are not our ways. We can find the grace in where we are if we are willing to be open to the idea that God has placed us there for a reason.

Cathy_of_Alex said...

Adoro: Good grief, ask me! If I can help you with my buddy, I will. I know I'm staying that one weekend but if you have other needs that I can help with, I'd be happy too.

Here endeth the chastisement...*tee-hee* But, I'm serious....

Adoro said...

Cathy ~ Remember you told me that those other weekends you're out of town...you spend a LOT of weekends out of town, and it's great that you can. And you are quite literally the ONLY person I know who can just stay at my house. I know people who would be wiling to take my dog...except she'd eat their cats. That's a problem.

Cathy_of_Alex said...

Adoro: True. But, sometimes if I know ahead of time that I'm needed I can change my schedule.

It's nice to be needed. LOL!

Give my buddy a hug for me!

Anonymous said...

Cathy ~ Your buddy sends much dog hair and happy slobbers and contented yowls.