Visitors - Come on in and say hello!

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Intervention!

Last evening I was so steamed I was certain I wouldn't be able to get to sleep, even after I'd taken my dog for a walk. (We couldn't go far as it was dark by then).

But as I came back, the neighbor on my other side delivered some news; he was diagnosed with Type I diabetes, and confessed he's pretty angry with God right now. So we talked for a long time outside about that and a few other things, including the neighbor issue. He's had problems with the guy, too, and is ready to go to the Association; especially since it concerns threats towards his "tween" daughter.

By the end of our conversation I felt a lot better about some things, an more concerned in other regards. But one of the things the neighbor and I spoke of was St. Paul's admonition not to "let the sun go down on your anger." We were both ticked off at similar and not-so-similar things, but we have some common ground in our beliefs.

And I found this funny; my neighbor (the good one) last night observed that he's NEVER seen me really angry. He's seen me variously irritated about things, but never really angry. And he's far from the first person to make that observation! And he's right; I don't often get really angry. If I do, others don't see it. Thank God for small favors! As it is, my flash of temper last night against the other neighbor is something that I think should not have happened and I think I went too far.

Well, by the time I went back inside, I was much calmer and went up to go to sleep.

Then it got worse...I had a message from Mom. She got conned by one of those warranty company letters one gets in the mail. She called them, they convinced her that her car was going to turn into dust tomorrow, and she gave them her credit card number so they could charge her with a $3,000 warranty, to 135,000 miles or something. I don't think her entire car is even worth that much! She wanted out, and so I made some suggestions (really strong forceful ones because I wanted to reach through the phone and strangle the person who had taken advantage of my Mom!) Man...if I wasn't ticked off before, I sure was THEN!

But I needed to sleep and determined to calm down and try, so I went upstairs. But something was bothering me...I needed to pray Night Prayer. I don't usually (usually just pray LOH Morning Prayer). But last night I got up, came down to get the book and went back up. And what should I read, but the very verse I'd quoted to my neighbor (on behalf of both of us)..

Ephesians 4:26-27
If you are angry, let it be without sin. The sun must not go down on your wrath; do not give the devil a chance to work on you.

THAT one hit home!

And as a bonus, from the Office of Readings, I found another quote that really stood out, applicable to my entire life:

Your best servan tis he who is intent not so much on hearing his petition answered, as rather on willing whatever he hears from you. ~ St Augustine, Confessions

Amazing how God does that! So I ended my evening by praying for BOTH of my neighbors, hoping that someone was praying for me, too.

And this morning is better. I do feel better, still ticked when I think of my neighbor and Mom getting scammed, but the edge is gone. And cool thing; I woke up to grades for two of my classes in my inbox. A- in both! YAY! I'm only awaiting the grade from my New Testament class...and outside of the paper, I believe I have an A...the paper will either solidify that or drop me down, but it can only do limited damage. I will be able to keep my scholarship! Yay!

*

2 comments:

Mark said...

Have your mom contact the consumer protection office of the state attorney general; she can get out of it, having used a credit card actually gives her leverage.

Anonymous said...

Mark ~ Already resolved. She called them this am, they wouldn't let her out, kept pushing her to purchase the product, and finally she threatened to go to the Atty General's office (as I'd suggested she do), and sure enough, that was the end of the story! LOL! I'm proud of my Mom!

Last night I had told her to consider making a report to the Aty General if they wouldn't cancel the purchase.