Visitors - Come on in and say hello!

Monday, May 26, 2008

Storm Aftermath

The storms that ripped through the area last night caused major destruction and killed a two-year-old boy.

The tornado that touched down near me did do some damage in a local neighborhood, but it was nothing on the scale of the damage done in a suburb to our east, in Hugo. The tornado, which apparently they think might be an EF-3, seemed to follow the street and just tore the homes apart, sending some of them into the pond. That's the very pond where the little boy was found, and those who tried to save him were unable to do so.

I can't imagine what that family is going through; their four-year-old is also hospitalized and in very serious condition. Please pray for that family.

I know several people in that town, and am thankful I haven't seen them or their names on TV. When I get to work tomorrow, hopefully we'll find out who is involved and who isn't, and I suspect the parish will be doing something to help that community.

In the last couple years, it seems that whenever we get storms, they are severe, and they are destructive. I remember the days of hearing of a "severe storm" and it passes over, fairly benign. But for the last two summers, I can't remember a single severe storm that didn't do pockets of major damage, at the very least. And it seems we don't get run-of-the-mill thunderstorms anymore. It's either just rain..or it's severe.

Please keep all those affected in your prayers.

No comments: