Visitors - Come on in and say hello!

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Family and Surprising Opportunities

It's been very busy lately between work and family. Just this weekend we had a family reunion, and it was the first one I've made it to in YEARS.

Because it's been so long, I approached it with a bit of trepidation. Some was warranted, some was not. As it was, many were already there by the time I arrived. It was great to connect with the cousins I grew up with, to meet and bond with the children of my cousins, and catch up with my aunts and uncles.

As I was leaving, one of my cousins, who was, in fact, my Confirmation sponsor, was on her way in.

"Oh! But you have two minutes, don't you?

"Ok."

Her, laughing, "Well, that was hard! How 'bout five?"

About an hour later, I finally left, and with an invitation from her to visit her in another state sometime during the school  year to give a presentation to her homeschooling group about icons and iconography. They've been looking for specific Catholic enrichment and she thinks that what I have to offer would be perfect for their middle-to-high-schoolers!

Of course, I'd be happy to go there just to visit family, but spreading knowledge and devotion to praying with icons...that's a huge bonus!

On the home front, I've learned more cousins live locally than I realized so we're planning some social events of mutual interest, all likely finding my brother's house as the center for gathering.

As the months go on, I look forward to more time with the extended family, and hope our plans all pan out; not for the sake of our plans, but for the sake of our relationships as family members.

I guess there is some benefit to being a member of what I like to call the "Twelve tribes of Israel (Minnesota)"!

My dear readers, I pray your summer is also going well and that you are also finding the time to renew your relationships with your family members and friends during your summer down time.

No comments: