Visitors - Come on in and say hello!

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

One Hail Mary

Obviously I've been struggling a great deal lately, and really, I've been at the end of my rope. Tomorrow, I hope and pray, I'll make it to Confession (finally!) and get a fresh start. I have a lot of things to get off my soul, and today found myself nearly despairing.

Then I came across a post at Sancte Pater on the efficacy of one Hail Mary. Even though I pray my rosary en route to work every day, this post went right to the heart of something for me.

There, at my desk at work I put my hands over my face and prayed, slowly, a Hail Mary, nearly in tears.

There has been so much going on in my life, so much that is not publishable; I've been overwhelmed at work and with stuff for school (the latter partially as I simply haven't been able to focus very well.) It all adds up.

What I read today isn't new to me, but today, I really NEEDED to read it again, but more importantly, to experience it.

There truly is no such thing as a "bad rosary". If you are regularly praying it, even mouthing the words while your mind is elsewhere, is it very effective? Probably not. But it's better to be praying than not, isn't it? And grace can't be measured or quantified in any way. It is better, of course, to know what you are doing, and do it with intent.

Perhaps that is what I need to do; spend more time actually paying attention to the words, to the depth of the mystery of the Incarnation to be found in the words of the Angel's greeting to Mary, recognizing that there is our Redemption, at hand. In the hands of the Blessed Mother...who said yes.

We can pray to her with confidence in any troubles we face, for Jesus Himself made her our Mother as well, and she is ready, just waiting for us to ask her to help us come closer to Jesus.

Hail Mary, full of Grace, the Lord is with Thee.
Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum; benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Jesus.
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc et in hora mortis nostrae,
Amen.

10 comments:

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

Adoro, you seem overwhelmed, and it seems like your readers should be helping you, but I'm not sure how. Is there some way to help?

Adoro said...

Would you like to live my life for me for awhile? Is there anyone on the planet who doesn't get overwhelmed when everything crashes on them at the same time?

Is it not natural to be overwhelmed when all this happens?

We can't escape suffering in our lives, and we don't get to choose the suffering we face. (except that which results from our own sin.)

No, there is nothing anyone can do nor SHOULD anyone. I have to live my life. You can't do it for me.

Unknown said...

Along the lines of Elizabeth's post, I think the best thing we can do for you is to lift you up in prayer. I haven't commented on your posts, just know there is someone in NJ who has got you in prayer.
As for the no such thing as a bad rosary, I don't remember which saint said it( I want to say Jerome, but really not sure) but the quote was:"The only bad rosary is the one not said."
Prayers Adoro!

Hidden One said...

It wasn't St. Jerome, because he was pre-Rosary.

Cathy_of_Alex said...

A wise priest I know, will on occasion, issue as a Penance the recitation of ONE, "Hail Mary" meditatively and slowly. It's very effective. Often, I end up doing it more than once-which Father also probably intended! :-)

Searching for His truth said...

Good Morning Adoro, For me, the battle changes minute by minute. It's like I am on some sort of a roller coaster. It seems like one minute I am raised by His glory and the next I am attacked for believing in that faith. Satan is unleashed and I am sure he is ready to attack anyone who is stepping closer to Jesus. I know Mary is the giver of all grace (Mediatrix)and we must keep ourselves open ,free from obsticles (sin) seperating us from the gifts she holds for us. This is a Battle, and in every battle we may be knocked off of our feet. BUT, we must stand up and keep fighting. Through the sacraments of reconciliation and Holy Eucharist we are cleansed and fed. And with the graces she then shares, our eyes are cleared of what may obstruct that perfect view of Her son Jesus. We are with you Adoro, when you are down put those rosary beads in your hand, grasp them tightly and tell satan he will NOT win, he will NEVER win. You belong to Jesus! Think of Him and thank Him for allowing you to share in His crucifixion. Shalom!

Adoro said...

Precious Cup: Mary is not the "giver of all graces" - that is not what Mediatrix means. All grace originates from God and it is REALLY important to understand that and the true definition of Mediatrix. I know what you meant, but someone who is not Catholic, or a badly catechized Catholic happening upon your comment WOULDN'T.

Searching for His truth said...

I understand that Mary is the "go between. Maybe I should have said the Hander. That's not a good word either. Yes, I understand your point, and I see that a person could misunderstand what I said. It is fine if you want to delete my response,and I humbly receive your response and criticism.

Adoro said...

I don't think deletion is necessary, only clarification for the benefit of those looking for ammo to throw at the Church. Done.

owenswain said...

I happen to be reading The Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis De Montfort.

What was actually said was "A single Hail Mary said properly is worth more than a hundred and fifty said poorly..." and it was said by St. Louis De Montfort.

And elsewhere I've read similar: "better to pray part of the rosary well than the whole rosary poorly" which has an entirely oposite meaning to the initial quote in the comments above.