Visitors - Come on in and say hello!

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Deep Thought of the Day

As I was packing my lunch for work, I mused about my coleslaw, and remember that, as a child, I thought it was "cold slaw". I didn't know what "slaw" was, but I knew it was always served cold, so the name made perfect sense to me.

"Liverworst" was different. I LOVED liverwurst, but HATED liver, so I thought this stuff wasn't named very well. After all, "liverworst" wasn't like liver at all. Liver was, in fact, the worst thing I ever tasted.

"Sourkraut" was another one. Oh how I hated that stuff, even the sour smell of it made me gag! I thought that "sourkraut" was named for it's sour smell and obviously sour taste.

*

This has been a presentation of Adoro's deepest thoughts and misspelled words that sound like the real ones. Share your own!

Back to regular programming.....

9 comments:

Banshee said...

sauer = sour, so you were 1/3 right!

Melody K said...

When I was a little kid I thought grape hyacinths were "grape pie-acinths". I had been cautioned never to eat flowers, but nothing was said about making sand pies with them. So I couldn't figure out why my mom was upset when I stripped the "grapes" off her hyacinths and put them in my play-pies; after all, that was their name!

Adoro said...

Maureen ~ Of course, the Germans are wise enough to be honest about their food! (My Dad was Swedish, actually...but same taste for...uh...that!)

Melody ~ ROFL! I love your wisdom. Totally logical!

Lazy Housewife said...

I thought the same thing about sauerkraut. I used to like the stuff as a kid, but now I find the smell of it repulsive.

My hubby likes liver cheese...and thought the white stuff around the slices was cheese. It's fat. And he still eats it. Gross.

Donella said...

Whoops I need to remember to fill out my other blog info when I comment on blogger blogs. LOL

Brother Charles said...

During my summer in Floyd, Co. Kentucky, a weekend rolled around on which everyone in the neighborhood started to make sauerkraut. I couldn't get away from the terrible smell!

Warren said...

Welsh Rabbit.

:-)

W

Adrienne said...

I LOVE liverwurst with mayo and big slices of Vidalia onions...

Potamiaena said...

When I was in first grade, my father told me to come watch the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show. I thought he wanted me to watch the Beagles! (Adoro, you weren't born yet)