Visitors - Come on in and say hello!

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Any Italian Speakers out there?

I have a relic which comes from Italy, and the prayer or saying on back is written in Italian. I speak Spanish so I tried to figure it out (I can often understand some French, Italian, or Latin by pulling from my understanding of the Spanish language), but so far I'm mystified.

Unfortunately, I can't post the specific grammatical markings, so hopefully, someone can still translate what this says. I'm using the limitations of the English keyboard to denote the accents, which should, in most cases, be properly OVER certain vowels.

Non permettete giammati all'anima vostra che ella si rattristi, ne' viva in amarezza di spirito o scrupoli; poiche' Colui che l'ha amata e che e' morto per farla vivere e dolce, buono e amabile.

I do understand some of it, but am having a hard time pulling it together.

Italian into Spanish or Italian into English would be equally acceptable.


This translation is from freetranslation.com

It do not allow giammati to the soul yours than she you sadden herself, of it' living person in bitterness of spirit or scruples; poiche' the one than loved it and that and' dead for to make it live and sweet, good and loveable


This one is from AltaVista Babelfish

You do not allow giammati the spirit yours that it rattristi, ne' lives in bitterness of spirit or scrupoli; poiche' C$r-he who has loved it and that e' died in order to make it living and cake, amiable bond and

LIVING AND CAKE?????

And from what I can tell, "C$r-he" is actually unpronounceable and does not exist in ANY language. Where did THAT come from?

Is there anyone there who can help me with this? It CAN'T possibly be worse that the translations above, although in all humor, I would welcome other bad translations just for the laughs. I promise to post the best ones!

7 comments:

Kiwi Nomad said...

My great great grandfather, Giuseppe Scettrini, was from the south of Switzerland, but spoke Italian. Sorry though, I am having some trouble finding him to help...

Anonymous said...

Just for fun....

No permission to Paul Giammati and all his animals and rats to live in the lovely spirit of scrupulosity, but pockets of Kahlua and love and death live a sweet, good, amiable life.

Adoro said...

kiwi ~ Thanks for the thought, anyway! :-) I'm certain he'd be happy to help if you could find him!

angela - ROFL! pockets of Kahlua!

Kiwi Nomad said...

Well, I know where he is I guess..... but he been somewhat immobile since 1928....

Anonymous said...

I think there is a mistake giammati instead of giammai, which means never...
so translation would be ( i am French not Italian, but I know some italian and latin )
never allow your soul to be sad, to live in bitterness of spirit or scruples, because the One who has loved your soul and has died to make her ( your soul )live, is sweet, good an loveable...

RobKPhD said...

I cannot add to the translation discussion, but the bablefish translation is humorous.

Adoro said...

Thank you, eric!

And you're right; I checked the card, and it is "giammai". I have no idea why I thought it was "giammati".


Rob ~ yeah, that one is humorous. I just love bad translations. :-)