Visitors - Come on in and say hello!

Saturday, February 11, 2006

The Olympics

Considering that the Olymics have begun, I felt that it was time for an entry about the games.

I've always wanted to be an Olympian, ever since I had a cousin who came close and only failed due to a broken bone the day before trials. Something about striving for a medal has always gotten to me, and the elusiveness, the challenge, and the very odds make it something of a holy grail for the average person.

One only has to watch those who win the medals, observe the tears staining their cheeks as they sing their national anthem, in order to understand that this isn't just a superficial event.

Another thing that has often struck me is that here, from all over the world, come athletes to meet and compete against one another, nation by nation, and it is a peaceful affair. Throughout the games, and in the years between, athletes develop friendships with others of their sport and even though they compete with all they have, the rivalry is left to the sport.

I don't like the politics that surrounds everything, so I do my best not to focus on it. Those who do become cynical and turn in to liberal democrats.

Let us offer prayers for all those in Torino, and ask for the intercession of Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati on their behalf. As an American, I do especially pray for the American competetitors, but considering that some countries have only one athlete, I have to say that it would be nice to see them on the podium as well. Overall, let us pray for their safety, for the protection of the volunteers, the workers, the families of all, and those who only watch from the sidelines.

Come to think of it, let us also pray for those who are watching from the comfort of livingrooms, wishing we could be there ourselves.

No comments: