Visitors - Come on in and say hello!

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Sparkling Grape Juice

From the serious and deep to the inane.

I have recently "discovered" sparkling white grape juice. I picked up a bottle over Thanksgiving and once I tasted it I was brought back to my childhood, remembering the biting yet sweet flavor of the grapes growing on Vera's vine trellis. I've tried the raspberry grape juice (sparkling) variety, too, and found it to be also quite delicious.

Still, though, I haven't really been able to bring myself to trying the alcohol-free wines out there. I haven't had this issue with sparkling grape juice because it doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is...grape juice with carbonation.

But alcohol-free wine...now, that's...what? Non-fermented grape juice in a wine bottle...that's really not wine. I have nothing against pure grape juice, but I have to wonder how alcohol-free wine works. How can that be wine? Wine is all about the fermentation, and the sugars, sulfites, boquet, palate...etc. I just don't see how one can have that with the "free" varieties in a bottle.

Maybe I'll just have to try it one of these days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Non-alcoholic wine" in the U.S. is, by law, wine which was fermented in the ordinary way and from which the alcohol was then removed to the extent that the percentage of alcohol is less than 0.5. Normally wine is about 12 or 13 percent alcohol. It is impossible to remove all the alcohol.

Sparkling grape juice is never-fermented juice which has been pasteurized so it won't ferment. The bubbles are achieved with carbonization, just like a soft drink. It has 0 percent alcohol.