Visitors - Come on in and say hello!

Saturday, November 26, 2005

God help this priest!

I decided to drop in and check on my favorite dissenting parish today...a sort of penance, I think. Or maybe just for morbid curiosity. I'll have to talk to my confessor about this. But in any case, I found some very encouraging news. Unfortunately I can provide only one link but I do encourage all readers to glance through this article.

In case you are timebound, I will summarize: St. Joan of Arc parish in Minneapolis, MN, has a new priest, Father Jim DeBruyker. The author of the article sat down with him and "got to know him". Most of it is pretty inane stuff, much of what you'd expect. I did find one quote worthy of this blog, however:

http://www.stjoan.com/thumb1fr.htm

As we were wrapping up our conversation, Jim shared with me one of the technicalities of becoming pastor. In order to become pastor, he was to take and sign the “Oath of Fidelity” and “Profession of Faith”. I found both of these to be interesting, and a bit disturbing, but it gives us an idea of what is expected of Fr. DeBruyker, and all other pastors, in this archdiocese.

Are you curious about what the author, Jeanne Schuam, found to be "disturbing" about the "Profession of Faith" and "Oath of Fidelity?"

As I cannot provide links, I will post the text of each:

OATH OF FIDELITY

I, Father James DeBruyker, in assuming the office of Pastor of Saint Joan of Arc, Minneapolis, Minnesota promise that both in my words and in my conduct I shall always preserve communion with the Catholic Church.

I shall carry out with greatest care and fidelity the duties incumbent on me toward both the universal Church and the particular Church in which, according to the provisions of the law, I have been called to exercise my services.

In fulfilling the charge entrusted to me in the name of the Church, I shall hold fast to the deposit of faith in its entirety, I shall faithfully hand it on and explain it, and I shall avoid any teachings opposed to that faith.

I shall follow and foster the common discipline of the whole Church and I shall observe all ecclesiastical laws, especially those which are contained in the Code of Canon Law.

In Christian obedience I shall unite myself with what is declared by the bishops as authentic doctors and teachers of the faith or established by them as those responsible for the governance of the Church, I shall also faithfully assist the diocesan bishops, in order that the apostolic activity exercised in the name and by mandate of the Church may be carried out in the communion of the same Church.

So help me God, and God’s holy Gospels, on which I place my hand


Hmmm...now, just try as I might, I just can't find ANYTHING troubling about the above text. Anyone else? It speaks of fidelity to the magesterium of the Church, Christian obedience, unity with the bishops, fostering the common discipline of ecclesiastical and canon law...etc. I have no problem with any of this. I just don't get it.

Well, for your furhter perusal, here is the Profession of Fait document:

, Father James DeBruycker, with firm faith believe and profess everything that is contained in the symbol of faith: namely,


I believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is seen and unseen. I believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, one in Being with the Father. Through him all things were made. For us men and for our salvation he came down from heaven: By the power of the Holy Spirit, he was born of the Virgin Mary, and became man. For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered died and was buried. On the third day he rose again in fulfillment of the Scriptures; he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son. With the Father and Son he is worshipped and glorified. He has spoken through the Prophets. I believe in the one holy catholic and apostolic church. I acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. I look for the resurrection of t he dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.


With firm faith I believe as well everything contained in God’s word, written or handed down in tradition and proposed by the church—whether in solemn judgment or in the ordinary and universal magisterium—as divinely revealed and calling for faith.

I also firmly accept and hold each and everything that is proposed by that same church definitively with regard to teaching concerning faith or morals.

What is more, I adhere with religious submission of will and intellect to the teaching which either the Roman pontiff or the college of bishops enunciate when they exercise the authentic magisterium even if they proclaim those teachings in an act that is not definitive.


Again, I find nothing wrong with the above. In fact, it looks suspiciously like the prayer we say every Sunday after the homily, and on solemnities, and with the Rosary and Chaplet of Divine Mercy...oh, YEAH! It's the CREED!

Why would this be disturbing to a faithful Catholic? Why in the WORLD would the above disrupt the peaceful hues of the aura surrounding a prophetic parishioner of SJA? OH RIGHT! Because they have NEVER BEEN TAUGHT THE FAITH!

God BLESS this priest and God help him...he goes into battle. Let us not let him go alone. Start praying, everyone, for he celebrates his first Mass at hellbound SJA on December 4, next weekend.

Anyone care to meet for a rosary and chaplet prior to Mass? Anyone care to be on hand to give this brave priest the support he will need to uphold the oaths he signed?

Anyone care to offer their holy hours on his and this parish's behalf? I do believe this behemoth can be turned around...but not without prayer, not without penanance, and not without the strong guiding hand of a faithful priest.

2 comments:

Fr. Andy said...

It will turn around with patience and faith, but many people will most likely leave the Church as a result. But they are technically outside of the Church anyway, no one has informed them though. Maybe this new pastor will, I hope.

Jeff Miller said...

It is the very thought of submission to the magisterium of the Church that gives them the heebie-jeebies.